Sunday, May 20, 2012


The Chicagoland Spring Marathon/Half Marathon brought about 1300 runners to the Schaumburg area, a suburb of Chicago.  Sunny, hot, breezy...the race would be a challenge!  I had trouble almost immediately.  Mile two and I already had a side cramp.  This lasted through mile four where I took a bathroom break and poured some water on myself.  Felt better until nearly at the 10K mark.  Ankles, feet and legs were tired and sore.  Possibly, this was due to my shoe frenzy last week.  Add the heat and it just spelled trouble.  Official time was 3:02!  Nearly a 14 pace!  Spent much time walking and just couldn't get a rhythm going on the run.



Well, it is what it is and I crossed the finish line standing up.  There were times I wondered!  The temp was around 90 by10:30 AM, so upper 80s at the finish line by the time I crossed it.  A breeze in the woods gave occasional respite.  It was wonderful running with friends, however.  And that in itself made the race totally worth it!


No comments:

Post a Comment