Friday, May 24, 2013

Fears Beware!


Training is moving along.  The upcoming Memorial Day weekend is looking good weather-wise and I'm hoping to get in two good bike rides (one of them fairly long) and a 5 mile run...possibly a swim somewhere in there as well.  It would be nice to swim at Centennial Beach, but it might be too cool.  Time will tell.  In the meantime, it's been fun re-connecting with my cycling group and hitting the farms.  Cycling in farm country is a wonderful experience.  No traffic, many other cyclists to wave to, BEAUTIFUL mornings with filtered sun rays shining on the newly tilled soils with morning mist and dew.  It is probably my favorite party of triathlon training.  Cycling in general has been going very well and has always been my strongest of the three sports.  Since my accident, nearly 11 months ago now, I've been a little spooked going out to the farms, but once I'm going, my nerves have been left behind.  Perhaps the joy of cycling is simply stronger than any fears that I have.

My new fear these days is if I'll ever get this running game back.  I'm a bit fearful of pushing it too hard and ending up with an injury or waking up an old one.  Most of my sports related injuries have been from running.  The bone I broke last June still balks a bit on the run, but is definitely not a major hinderance.  The pirfirmoris muscle also barks at me from time to time, but again, running through that is no problem.  My foot issue also is vaguely there and gets a little better each week.  So to push the run as I continue to heal might set me back to the point of not being able to run...so....I keep it relatively easy and am just sacrificing any real speed.  November is Naperville's first Half/Full Marathon Event and I really would hate to be sidelined for that.  In the meantime, I have a 5K here or there to keep me going and give me goals to reach.

Running Friends and I after a recent 5K Run

Swimming is going well.  I've concluded that I'll never be a fast swimmer, but I can swim from here to Kansas and not run out of steam (OK..well, maybe not that far...but endurance is my strength, but speed...not so much).  

So with my first triathlon of the season coming up in two weeks, my goal is to finish strong and not worry so much about the time.  I have one more week of strong training and then the taper.  I will take with me all my supporters in the fundraising adventure for Ovarian Cancer Research and give them my best and have fun doing so.  Thank you to all who are with me on this journey.  

There is still time for anyone who would like to donate for this cause and give women a future of living fear-free of this quiet, sneaky disease (remember....ovarian cancer is very "quite"with its' symptoms making this cancer so deadly since it usually doesn't present with strong symptoms until a very late stage when not treatable).  Click on the link below before June 9th to make your donation.



Thank you and God bless you all....

Lynn




No comments:

Post a Comment