Thursday, May 16, 2013

My New Race Shirt Says It All!

Love getting packages delivered to my door.  Just arrived:  The shirt I designed online for my upcoming triathlon next month.  Every year the race raises funds for the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund and some of the women will have a message on the back of their shirts who they are racing for.  I saw one gal who had a picture of her mom attached to her shirt and a handwritten message that said, "I miss my mom."  We were on the bike portion of the race and as I passed her by, I said, "I miss my mom too."  We acknowledged each other with sad eyes knowing how each of us felt that this wretched disease robbed us of our mothers too soon.

My mom about a year before she passed away from ovarian cancer.

Back to the shirt...  Here is a photo of front and back (just out of the packaged, so wrinkled):



Shirley is my co-worker, Laura's mother who is currently in the late stages of ovarian cancer.  Laura also has a neighbor recently diagnosed with this disease.  A good friend of my mother's had discovered she had the disease just three months before my mother discovered she had it.  Ovarian cancer is not as common as many other cancers, but it comes on so subtle with very common, quiet symptoms that are usually only little nuisances early on and so often ignored, not noticed or misdiagnosed.  Google "ovarian cancer" and see how many websites talk about these symptoms.  It is important for every woman to pay attention to these symptoms and get them checked out if last more than a couple of weeks (click here for the Mayo Clinic site on what symptoms to looks for:  Ovarian Cancer Symptoms-Mayo Clinic ).

In the meantime, we can be proactive by supporting research for better diagnostics and treatments.  If you would like to help me with this cause, please make a donation to this charity that is part of my upcoming women's triathlon on June 9th in Naperville, IL (Esprite de She Women's Triathlon).  Visit my fundraising page at:    Lynn's Fundraising Page for Ovarian Cancer Research Fund  Checks are also accepted and can be made out to:  OCRF in any amount.  If you need my address, please e mail me at:  teniswhiz@aol.com.

Thank you so much....And may our future be rid of all cancers!

Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment