Monday, May 27, 2013

Group Support Works




Some group members from a previous ride. . .

A few posts ago, I mentioned several ways to stay motivated exercising when what you'd really like to do is hit the couch.  One of those suggestions was to be part of a group in an activity you enjoy and can have fun participating in with other like-minded people.  It also helps with accountability when people are expecting you to show up.  This works for me with my swim and cycle group.     

On this damp morning, we had a ride scheduled.  It was quite tempting NOT to go.  But I had invited some people  to join the group and it wouldn't look so great if I didn't show up.  A couple folks had canceled out due to the dampness, and I certainly could understand.  I wished I had been one of them.  Once at our meeting place, those of us there first discussed the borderline weather conditions.  But we decided to man up and go for it because most of us were behind in our training due to bad weather conditions.  It's been a long, cool and wet spring.  So out we went for 35+ miles.  The misting stopped and the roads dried up due to the winds which also provided some challenging resistance.  When it was all said and done, we were glad we went!  Just another example of how important it is to have that support!

 Schlaap Rd (on a sunnier day) out in the farms were we often ride.  Now you can see why wind would be especially challenging with nothing to block it!



Reservation Rd.  A short respite of trees on those hot days. The farms are absolutely beautiful (sometimes stinky...but always beautiful even on a cloudy, misty day)


From a previous ride with a Starbucks break.

So good thing I got a long, hard ride in.  The Esprit de She triathlon is a day less than two weeks away.    The really good news is, I smashed through my fundraising goal for the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund.  Nearing $1100.00 thanks to the generosity of friends, co-workers, and acquaintances.  We all contributed a portion to make a big contribution and I can't thank you all enough.  Meeting a goal is always exciting.  But exceeding goals is even more so.  If you haven't already, and wanted to give to this cause, there is still time (until June 9th).  Click on the link below and become a part of my race for both the triathlon and to wipe out ovarian cancer.  



Thank you for your support. . .  




No comments:

Post a Comment